Monday, November 17, 2008

Hope For A Cure


The year goes wrong, and tares grow strong,
Hope starves without a crumb;
But God's time is our harvest time,
And that is sure to come
.

- Lewis J. Bates

So here is a good one to write. On Saturday, November 15, I ran in the Purple Stride - Atlanta 5K Run. Many of you contributed and have heard me talk about this event. The local affiliate is in its third year of existence and this is the third annual event. Its intention is not to only raise funds for research, but it is to raise awareness of the fourth leading cancer killer of the major cancers...but is the least funded. In raising funds we help with research to come up with early detection, better treatments and ultimately a cure.

The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is a nationwide group of people working together to advance research, support patients and create hope for those affected by pancreatic cancer. Founded in 1999, the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network has grown into the only national organization fighting pancreatic cancer in a comprehensive way. They accomplish their mission by directly funding research and demanding that the federal government increase research dollars for pancreatic cancer; by providing patients and caregivers with reliable information to make informed decisions with their health care teams; and by helping individuals and communities work together to raise awareness and funds to find a cure for pancreatic cancer

So for this local event being held in Atlanta, GA (USA); it was a bit cool but the colors were wonderful in the trees. Our mother would have loved the beautiful colors of fall, the briskness of an early morning but more important; the laughter and chatter of people gathering together. There were 750 runners this year and our local group raised nearly $104,000 dollars, much of that support coming from folks like you that supported my efforts.

Also, I want everyone to know that I came in first place in the 45-49 year olds that were born in Fremont, Nebraska. It turns out that I was the only one in that category! But I did run the 5K in 39 minutes, 20 seconds and feel pretty good about it as this was quite a hilly course. I don't fancy myself a great runner but at this age, I feel great that I can. I also enjoy the idea of just feeling alive when I run in these events.

I submitted a "Tell Your Story" and picture for the local affiliate to use. These stories and pictures will be heading up to Washington DC given out to all of the congressman/women and Senators. The bigger story with all of these individual ones is that there are real people associated with this cancer and personal stories of hope, loss and survival. There is also possible testimony to be given in a committee meeting and I hope to possibly be there and speak myself.

The event also featured a "Remembrance Wall" that was very touching. In the upper middle part of the board I placed our Mother's picture with our Dad. I used a picture of them both as two become one in so many years of marriage. The love of each other's lives is the way I choose to remember.

The other stories on the wall are ones just as heart touching as our own. Lives shortened but not forgotten, so many that didn't last as long as our Mother, so we have to feel blessed by the amount of time she was able to stay with us.

There was information from a research doctor at the University of Alabama who talked about new treatments that are promising. But the thing I didn't hear about is early detection except for a young woman whom is a four year survivor. Her early detection was a nagging stomach pain deep inside that she wouldn't let her doctor simply pass off. They did the CAT scan and found the small tumor in a very early stage in the pancreas. Surgery, lots of weight loss as one expects, months in the hospital and lots of support from family and friends.

All touching, all encouraging news, but everyone I talked to say that even though we have come a long way, we have a whole lot further to go. So thank you everyone for supporting me in running for all of you, your loved ones and the survivors.

More importantly, thank you for expressing your love for Mom.
_

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

way to go Joe I am very impressed that you can undertake such a long run. after all the time you spend behind a desk. you are an inspiration. so much so tht when the weather ever gets warm again up her in Minnesota! I shal try to get out and give it a whirl TTFN--Mikey