Friday, May 22, 2009

To Climb The Mountain



"To climb a mountain, you must first walk through a door of decision to climb it." -Joseph Primm

In the book CHANGED LIVES, Kristien talks about a life spiraling out of control. So many things had happened in his young life and he was allowing those circumstances to be his excuse.

Many people find that succumbing to circumstance is an easier route to take then overcoming. If we can blame it on something else, we feel it justifies our pain or guilt. Yet we only drive ourselves further into the ground.

As Kristien told me his story, I wondered how many 'bottoms' one could reach.

~~~~~~

One night, at my mother’s home, my brother was having a party. Naturally we were drunk as can be. I had started that morning with my brother. My mother was not amused by the party and started trying to talk some sense into a few of us. It escalated to an argument and I lost my mind.

I pulled a knife on my own mother. I started screaming while cutting myself and pointing the knife at her. Luckily my oldest brother was there to beat me down and take the knife away. I can still remember to this day the way I felt the next morning. I called my mom and apologized.

We talked it through a bit and we got a number for a psychiatrist from our pastor. This was one of the best things I could have done in my life.


~~~~~~

The process isn't simple and the set backs can be many. It is the choice to walk through the door that is the first step in climbing the mountain of change.

_

No comments: