Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pancreatic Cancer


"God gave us memories that we might have roses in December." ~J.M. Barrie

Today marks the one year anniversary of my mother's passing away from Pancreatic Cancer. It is a day that our family carries in our hearts because Mom gave us so much during her final days. One thing she said that resonates with me to this day is, "Prayer was here for us before we knew what prayer was for."

To me it means that God is looking out for us even if we are unaware of it. I add my mother to that as well. She is looking out for each of us now from a greater place.

Today also marks the end of my one year tribute to her fight against Pancreatic Cancer. I have worn the following band for the full year, never taking it off, serving as a reminder of the strength she had.


I will remove this one and keep it in a special place of memories of my mother. I will obtain a new one and wear it at times and continue my efforts to raise money for Pancreatic Cancer research. All I'm asking for at this point is enough money to help researchers find a method of early detection. There are no methods of detecting this cancer early. This means that by the time it is detected, the chances of survival are greatly diminished.

So in that effort, my wife and I will be running in the PurpleStride Atlanta 2009 5K Run to raise research dollars again this year. This events primary purpose is to raise money for research and to raise awareness of Pancreatic Cancer. Pancreatic cancer is the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the United States—and has the highest mortality rate of all the major cancers.

This year, 42,470 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and 35,240 will die from the disease. The number of new cases and deaths caused by this deadly disease are increasing not decreasing. By 2030 the number of cases is projected to increase by 55%. The facts are undeniable, we need early detection and a path to a cure.

You can help by supporting our run and donating dollars to TEAM ROSE today. I thank you, my wife Laura thanks you and the Primm family thanks you.

Love you Mom. -Joey

No comments: