Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Getting Answers

J2a Haplogroup - The Cultivators

"No matter where you go, there you are." ~Confucius

The results are back and wow, where do I start? Were they earth shattering results of my family background? It actually took a bit of time and reading over and over again to comprehend what the DNA tests were telling me.

So yes, did we all basically come from the birthplace of civilization of the Fertile Crescent, where you'll find present day Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Syria and Iraq. Not a huge surprise to me, but it was the the connection to the subgroup.

The testing revealed my ancestry is likely from a subgroup referred to as Cultivators that are associated with Anatolia, the eastern portion of modern day Turkey. Early agriculture in the history of mankind, it is likely that alongside irrigation and other agricultural techniques, my ancestors advanced civilization in other areas, such as writing and government.

A group of ancestors that are roughly 20,000 years old and from my first research of the results, appear to match where my more 'modern-day' ancestors came from.

So you probably think its about as likely as the astrology predictions in your local paper. The generalization of a haplogroup could place most anyone into that category. But it is the science behind the DNA markers that actually places a person there. And it is the known ancestral history that lends credence to it.

In example, the known history of my family dates back to the early 1800s; all were farmers; paternally they came from the farming rich area of what was northern Germany; the migration of peoples in this haplogroup settled in Germany as well. Again, you might suggest all 'perchance'.

I too take the information at a slightly extended arms length. But it is a piece to the puzzle of who I am. Life is a search for the history of oneself that will help reveal identity. This information can help you understand who you are and in turn help you develop a better life.

Heck, each of us at some point ask, "what is the meaning of life?" The question itself constitutes a philosophical question concerning the purpose and significance of life or existence in general. We certainly don't let the question get in the way of living life. But it is in our nature to wonder and I'm not here to suggest we'll ever fully answer that question.

The ability to 'ask' the question intrigues me and I know I will never fully understand it. But understanding where my history lay is something I can learn. I may not have a clear path back to the beginning, but I will have established something for future generations going forward.

Which is a very long way to get to where I am going with this article. When it comes to genealogical history, we look back trying to fill in all of those missing gaps. But we tend to forget that we must start with the present and record that for the future. If not, those future generations will be trying to find their history.

And it all begins by 'starting', the process of movement. You begin to do something about recording your present day; you begin by putting one foot in front of the other; you begin by beginning. If my ancestors hadn't began movement 20,000 years ago, I just might be living along the Nile River today. If I hadn't made movement in my life, I could be sitting on my back deck drinking myself into oblivion.

It does not start next week or even tomorrow. It starts today, it starts now. You can make the changes in your life that will effect generations to come. Make changes for the better and see what life writes about you.

No comments: