Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Counting Steps


"Take the first step, and your mind will mobilize all its forces to your aid. But the first essential is that you begin." ~Robert Collier

For those that know me, I have a little quirk that some think is problematic. Others find it amusing and find ways to cajole me. I have never found it to be a problem and the humor cast upon me is neither bothersome or hurtful, so on I go.

The quirk is that I count things. I count stairs, steps, ceiling tiles, and other things. To me it fits in perfectly with my compulsion to have have things in order. You could call it my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) that is defined as a Counter and Arranger. People such as I are supposedly obsessed with order and symmetry.

I don't have any superstitions about colors and such, but mostly in making sure that I get the counts correct. I have even been described in the same vein as a television character called Monk. That urge to straighten and line up everything does get a few comments from time to time.

But what I really look at is the counting of things. The number of steps from where I park at work to the entry door, (26). The number of steps up from my living room to the upper floor, (10). And many other ones that I do repeat and have to ensure that I count correctly each time.

Of course I do this in my mind and it isn't problematic...honestly.

The interesting part isn't the total count. It isn't that there are ten steps here or twenty-six there. It is the first step that counts. That you move forward and begin at the number one. One step leads to a second step, a third, fourth, and so on.

Without that first step, we will never make progress on our journey of life. And isn't that how one should 'Live the Journey' after all? The cliches' and quotes abound about how a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

But it really is that first step followed by many more that will lead to a great life. So keep moving forward and I will keep counting.

One, two, three, ...

No comments: