Monday, November 15, 2010

Firsts

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

I really want to apologize to my regular readers for my lack of updates this past week. My wife and I have had a great pleasure being with one of our daughters and her husband during the birth of their first child. Truly a miraculous event for anyone but always individually special.

Our new grand-daughter is not our first grand-child, but each one feels like the first. It is something I never cease to be amazed by how wonderfully beautiful and inspiring a birth brings to everyone involved. Each birth is of course the gazillionth birth, but each is a first as well.

I was brought to mind by my daughter of her child's first of firsts. We were visiting her husbands parents and as we got on the elevator, she commented that this was her daughter's 'first' elevator ride. There will also be the first foot steps, first words and first skinned knee.

After arriving back at our hotel, I looked out the window at the I-405 freeway near our hotel. It was a stream of red lights and white lights traveling south and north along this ribbon of pavement. I could only think that one day this darling little girl will have her first drive down this busy stretch of road.

The thought of it shook me a little bit. But I also know that faith in life's firsts means some level of unknown must be accepted. I can try to look way down the road of time and worry about it. Or I can take faith in my first step of just allowing her to be a new born. I can have faith that with the wonderful guidance of her parents, grand-parents and good people around her will clear her path in life.

There will be those moments that each of us encounter. There will be those "skinned knees" each of us get. But we will never get a skinned knee, we will never get any where in life unless we step out in faith.

Unknown events will lay in wait for each of us in our life. But you will never experience life without those firsts that each of us have to encounter. My grand-daughter will get to experience many firsts in her life. You will continue to experience firsts in your life. Simply go forth and experience them with faith.

No comments: