Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Help


"When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream." ~John Lennon

I came across the above quote from John Lennon, part of the famed rock group The Beatles and found it an interesting view on life. Screaming through the pain tends to overwhelm our ability to ask for help.

I remember my own experience years ago. The pain of need is your sole focus. It can become so powerful that you forget to eat, sleep. In general it is the sole thing in your life that even blocks out your ability to ask for help.

My life was heading in a downward spiral and couldn't even see it happening. But other people did. Other people entered into my life and gave me focus to see that I did need help. I'm not ashamed to say that I read as much as I could and also sought professional advice.

The advice I sought was online as well as a few books. The advice I sought came from family, friends and professionals. The important thing that I wish to impart on you is to ask for the help. It isn't a sign of weakness, it is a sign of strength. Knowing your weaknesses will only give you new life to overcome anything.

The Beatles sang, "But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors." You can open up more doors in your life by asking for the help you need when you need it.

Help is out there waiting for all of us. Ask for it when you can, others will step in when you can't.

No comments: