Friday, February 17, 2012

Build a Home


"Seek home for rest, for home is best." -Thomas Tusser

Coming home, it is a wonderful feeling when one has been on the road. Whether it be a short trip down the road to another city, or a long journey to another country, returning is always a comforting event.

As much as we try to expand our horizons with new experiences and places, we tend to be 'home bodies' at heart. Home is the one place where you will always find those closest to you. A wife or husband, father or mother, child or friend that know you most dearly.

When I travel, the vast majority of people that I run into are friendly, helping and genuinely ready to assist. But the hotels are different from my own house, the food is different from my wife's cooking and the sounds or atmosphere do not have the same familiar feel.

And I find that when I come home, I can slow down from the hectic pace and be amongst family and friends. On the road there is a peculiar tension or stress. Even with the things one does to adjust, there is no place like home.

In your daily life, many of these stresses you encounter can be absolved simply by coming home. So don't make your home a stressful one. Build a home that is a comforting one that nourishes and rejuvenates the soul. “The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned" is how Maya Angelou said it.

Build a home that you will always ache for when you are not there.

Stay inspired my friends.

No comments: