Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Turning Over Rocks


“...one opportunity leads directly to another, just as risk leads to more risk, life to more life, and death to more death.” ―Markus Zusak

When I was a young boy, there was always amazement in my thoughts that one day I would find a treasure map. It would happen suddenly and most definitely be a map that led me to a great treasure. All through those young years, I tried never to pass up a chance to turn over a stone in hope of finding that map.

My high school graduation came and in a pile of college pamphlets, one stood out. That discovery led me to Peru State College and a treasure trove of friends and experiences. In those years, I found someone which led to my first marriage and the wonderful experience of being a father.

Married and now a new child on the way, I worked as a stock clerk. The journey through piles of shoes on shelves and folding of beach towels on sale led me to the manager's office. There he tried to convince me to take on a "manager trainee" role, but in that office sat a machine. Actually it was an early style electronic typewriter and it intrigued me for I knew electronics.

There was a name on the side of the typewriter. It was a local office equipment dealer. I found they were hiring and started a new career. A few years later, working on early model desktop computers I knew I could do more so I searched through the yellow page directory, no internet as we know it today. In the pile of technology company names, I found and eventually was hired. Thirty years later I am still working for that company.

Looking back, I had been kicking over stones and finding all kinds of treasure maps. By keeping my eyes open to opportunity, it was like finding a map that would lead me to a new discovery.

Opportunity appears in many different forms. But know that each opportunity is like kicking over a rock and finding a treasure map. All you have to do is choose to turn over the stone and use the map found.

Stay inspired my friends.


No comments: