Thursday, February 06, 2014
"Begin, be bold and venture to be wise." - Horace
Change has to start some "where" and at some "time" if you truly want to get to a place in life that you would rather be. We can dream every day and even wish for it to magically appear. But even dreams have to encounter opportunity in order for them to ever become a reality.
And one might wonder where to start.
One first step is to 'write down on a piece of paper the dream or goal'. This step is crucial and is your first accomplishment in reaching your goal. It is a physical and real thing once the goal is on that piece of paper taped to your bedroom mirror.
Chris Pringle refers to this empty piece of paper as your dream being empty.
Not until you write it down does it begin the journey. It creates movement that will have you boldly go forward to make a change in your life. Of course, none of this happens with out some level of fear. Each of us have examples of change inspite of our fears.
Some of the fears I've encountered are;
- When I was 19, my girlfriend became pregnant and we married. The fear of this change gripped me, but I took it on and today (although divorced from her) we have four wonderful boys.
- When I dreamed of a better job after six years in a 'go no where' job, could I truly perform? I buckled down and learned everything I could, then found the company I still work for after nearly 30 years of employment.
- When my marriage fell apart after twenty-one years, my normal and comfortable life evaporated. Boldly I found the means to move forward, develop new relationships and marry once again. Today, still the four wonderful boys, but also an amazing wife and four amazing step-daughters and grandkids.
- When my position in the company seemed to languish, I dreamed of performing more consulting type work. I took the steps to move out of my comfort zone and take on a new role within the same company.
- When my mother developed Pancreatic Cancer, the fear of losing her took hold of me. When I moved past the fear, I was given a gift along with my father and siblings of spending countless hours with her in the final days. I overcame the fear of her dying and was presented with the opportunity to learn and experience her life story.
When we boldly overcome our fears, the dreams we dream big take shape.
Find a way to get past those fears and begin the wonderful journey. For it is with movement that we will come upon opportunity that otherwise would have evaded us. Life will throw many things at you whether you remain stationary or not.
Helen Keller once said, "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold."
Overcoming fear and moving boldly towards a dream will have its danger, but it will also have its opportunities. Take hold of those opportunities by being bold in life, by being unafraid to meet up with your dreams.
Stay inspired my friends.