Monday, September 29, 2014

Good Things Happen


"If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life." - Arthur Ashe

You have probably asked this in your own life, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" It is an longstanding question that really serves the purpose of wondering why things happen at all. As humans we have a never ending quest to understand why anything happens to or around us.

So when it comes to the question itself, bad things do not happen to just good people.

Bad things happen to all kinds of people.

Life is that way and it is within our human nature to wonder why.

As an example, a good friend of mine has been battling cancer. There is a bigger story leading up to this but certainly allows one to ask the question why. Through all of this, his attitude remains positive and hopeful. Whenever I ask how the day or moment is going, he gives me a thumbs up. He understands the reality of that day or moment, but hope abounds within him.

And with that thumbs up, I know not to focus on just the bad in life.

I am unable to predict the outcome of someones predicament, but I can learn from it. Circumstance comes with life, it just does. Even with all of the bad which seems to happen in life, there is also goodness occurring each and every day to people.

If we concentrate on just the bad, we will believe that only bad exists.

If we give attention to the good, then hope will strengthen and lift us.

So I ask you to believe in good things happening just as often, if not more, than the bad. Treat life with a positive outlook even when the bad happens. Let those good things in life be the greater focus.

Stay inspired by friends.

No comments: