Friday, November 21, 2014

Your Sphere

"It's not just for its influence on us, but to know that we can play a part in it, to understand the influence that we have outside our own existence." - Siobhan Davies

A friend of mine, Dean Sweetman was attending a conference some years ago to a world-renowned speaker. As he sat there, he sent out a message on Twitter that read "listening to amazing stories that have impacted church growth world wide." He went on to say, "I feel small."

Dean may have felt small in that moment, yet I can feel small in comparison to Dean's huge sphere of influence. So it isn't about comparisons. It is about our own world and what we can do within it. So as I read his message again, it occurred to me that our own sphere of influence can also be quite large.

I have a rough idea of where my sphere of influence spreads. How my words and motivation reach people in many far reaching places. But more importantly, it starts closest to me both with my own attitude and my family. It then spreads to close friends and those I come in contact with as the circle grows bigger.

Think of the effect a pebble in the water has. The ripples closest to the impact (you) are largest and they smooth out the further away from the epicenter. This sphere of influence can grow and shrink over time.

For me, it grows as more people read my books and read my blog articles. For some, that influence can leap to huge proportions such as when a person like Oprah Winfrey takes notice. But even if it doesn't grow to grand expectations, the influence is just as powerful.

Each of us have levels of influence. It simply starts with the attitude you carry inside. It will impact those around you, your wife, your kids your friends and co-workers.

You carry it with you 24 hours a day each and every day.

You carry it with you at home and wherever you travel.

You carry it inside and in the things you do.

Never feel small because the influence you carry is huge. Your sphere of influence is greater than you think. Make it the right kind of influence and see what great things happen as you impact the lives of other people.

Stay inspired my friends.

No comments: