Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Streets of Inspiration




"One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

One particular day I was on the freeway driving near where I live in Atlanta. Along side the road was a very large billboard. I'm not sure why it caught my eye but it was for a motivational seminar. The event was soon to be happening here in the Atlanta area.

Seminars can be quite good at motivating you to greater achievement.

What struck me in reading the billboard, you were going to receive a full day of top notch speakers; ten in all. Famous and well known people who are pretty good people to listen to. And just how much do the tickets cost?

That is possibly the most mind-blowing part of the whole deal.

As the billboard cried out; "$19 for EVERYBODY IN YOUR ENTIRE OFFICE! Not per person — $19 for the whole office! If you bring a large office, you could save thousands and thousands by registering prior to the event. That’s a HUGE VALUE!"

I then became slightly skeptical at this point I guess. That many speakers in a one day event can only leave fifteen or twenty minutes for each to speak. Much more of the time is left to sell product, pressure and pitch for the tapes and CDs and additional motivational seminars sign ups. My skepticism can get in the way sometimes I suppose. The billboard screamed to me the point was more about taking your money from your pocket than it was about motivation.

Don't get me wrong, I believe motivational events are great.

The ability of a great speaker to click the right thing in your mind can be powerful. All of the well-dressed and successful speakers can really pull you in and give you incentive to succeed. There something good in do so.

What I wonder though, is it the red ties, nice suites, lights and huge production the motivator or is it the words of the speaker?

Could a simple person such as myself, without the fancy suit and mega stage production inspire?

I believe the answer is yes.

If true motivation or change is needed, then it becomes the words one needs to hear and absorb. The lights and awesome images of the stage will fade over time. The words will sink in and take root in your life. The words will be what motivate you to change your life.

And anyone, on any kind of stage can motivate another person. Motivational seminars are great, those folks are earning a living just as you do and they are very good at what they do. But do not forget that you can inspire others without the big lights and fancy names. You can also gain inspiration from lots of people out there in blue jeans and sneakers.

Sometimes the inspiration comes from the street, from people like you and me. Everyone can inspire and help you change your life.

You too can inspire us, so stay inspired my friends.


No comments: