Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Skills Taught For Life


In the time of your life, live—so that in that good time there shall be no ugliness or death for yourself or for any life your life touches. Seek goodness everywhere, and when it is found, bring it out of its hiding place and let it be free and unashamed.

Place in matter and in flesh the least of the values, for these are the things that hold death and must pass away. Discover in all things that which shines and is beyond corruption. Encourage virtue in whatever heart it may have been driven into secrecy and sorrow by the shame and terror of the world. Ignore the obvious, for it is unworthy of the clear eye and the kindly heart.

Be the inferior of no man, or of any men be superior. Remember that every man is a variation of yourself. No man's guilt is not yours, nor is any man's innocence a thing apart. Despise evil and ungodliness, but not men of ungodliness or evil. These, understand. Have no shame in being kindly and gentle but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret.

In the time of your life, live—so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.
” ― William Saroyan, The Time Of Your Life

It was the fall of 1978, my first year at Peru State College and I was living every moment, event and every piece that I could capture each day. There were the studies I tried to remain disciplined with, but to no avail. There was so much more to do. So much more to experience.

I was involved in student government, student activities, art, drama and socializing. College had all those things I only dreamed about growing up on the farm. College provided me the freedom to find myself that a small farm town never encouraged. There had been a couple of plays, music and such in high school, but now I wanted to be in a college production.

My abilities came from the technical and analytical side of the brain. But I always had a toe in the water of creativity, wanting to be an actor, a painter; someone creative in that fashion.

It was this same fall, leaves exploding into amazing colors that I auditioned for a play called The Time Of Your Life. Directed by Dr. Charles Harper, to this day I am still not sure how I made the cut. Whether it was untapped talent or someone to fill the cast, I was thrilled to be part of a college production.

My first realization is how tough learning my limited lines would be, let alone becoming part of the scene in a play. I am sure I struggled during rehearsals but one man made all the difference.

His name was Dr. Royal W. Eckert.

Doc Eckert was also a member of the department and he had the duty of handling costumes for this play. He may have had pity for me but I think it was something more which existed in him. I think he had a belief in people and a need to make a difference in the lives of others. Big or small, Doc had an impact on me and on many other people.

Doc took the time to help me figure out ways to learn and time my lines. He would give me tips on stage presence and blending in to become part of the unfolding scene. His guidance extended to opening night when I remember him telling me I would be great. Just be part of what was happening and to enjoy myself.

The time devoted to a farm boy wanting to act on stage did more than he may have ever thought. The skills taught to me by Doc Eckert were life important to what my real career turned out to be. I still use those lessons learned today when talking to customers, presenting ideas, and making a difference in the lives of other people.

He taught me confidence.
He taught me preparation.
He taught me presence.
He taught me.

And is that not what a teacher does?

They teach us skills that serve us throughout life. Doc Eckert taught me well and for that I thank him and many of the professors and other teachers at Peru State College.

Are you a former Peru State College student? Did Doc Eckert impact your life. Do you have someone in your life like Doc Eckert that does not realize how much they did for you? Just like the movie Mr. Hollands Opus, can you tell Doc Eckert what he meant to you. Or can you see in Doc Eckert someone that did this for you?

If you can, send a card, a letter, or a photo to Dr. Royal W. Eckert and tell him. Let this be his great opus, his greatest work in making a difference in the lives of others, in you. I could write of many other Peru State College professors and teachers. I could write of many others I have been influenced by throughout the years. But I choose to recognize Doc Eckert, to thank all of the others by thanking him.

Send your cards and letters to:

Dr. Royal W. Eckert
c/o Ambassador Nebraska City
1800 14th Avenue
Nebraska City, Nebraska 68410

Even if you do not know Doc, let him know people like him mean all the world to us. His life means something. His life has made a difference.

Then let me know your inspired story.
Let me know if you wrote Doc or another person who made a difference.
Send me a note at jprimm@bellsouth.net and stay inspired my friends.

Dr. Royal W. Eckert
(1975-1994) Professor Emeritus of Speech/Theatre
Peru State College


No comments: