Saturday, June 03, 2006

Life Checking Your Attitude

A busy week on the road so it has been difficult to get any writing done. As I am back home now, a small story to illustrate how your attitude is always being tested.

With air travel these days, fewer planes mean fuller flights, longer lines and sometimes stress in the whole process. So much more could be done by the airlines but I won't go into it at this point. My only thought would be that I'm surprised a major bus company has not yet bought out any of the major airlines.

When boarding for my recent trip, the whole process was not handled very well. It had been a long wait and many in the crowd were getting impatient. I had been in line to board but although my boarding pass was valid, the 'ticket machine' could not read the bar code. I was directed back to the boarding gate desk for another ticket.

Back in line once again and awaiting my turn, my thoughts were that I was handling myself pretty well. I'm staying calm, smiling and understanding to the situation. The gate attendants were attempting to get a second machine working and would direct the 'next' person in line to that machine. Remain calm I said, this will soon be over and you will be in your seat on the plane.

All at once a female passenger could no longer wait and cut in front of me to the next machine. I politely interrupted her but I'm sure the tone of my voice indicated otherwise. We exchanged insincere 'no, you go first' apologies but you know what the underlying meaning of that is. Those types of exchanges are, "hey, you cut in front of me and it was really rude." Followed by the reply, "get lost, I just might be more important than you!" So you get the picture!

Being the gentleman, I do insist that she go first but only through gritting teeth. We make our way onto the plane, I'm sure my seething is noticeable. Down the second aisle of the plane, further back we go. Can it be, please say no, why is this happening? We are sitting next to each other! Who says God has no sense of humor.

We sat in a bit of silence for a short while. But knowing that we have an eight hour flight ahead of us, best to salvage the day. Our talk is at first polite and short but eventually both of us apologize for the small scene. I think to both of our embarassment, the stress of boarding had gotten the best of us. A good laugh then ensued as we talked a bit about attitudes.

In life, situations will occur where your attitude will be tested. It may be on the road as someone cuts you off, you yell something and then the light turns red as you pull up along side them. It may be getting disgruntled at the guy who took that parking space, only to find he is a customer at your business meeting. Or it could be a stressful exchange while waiting to board a plane, only to find out the two of you will be sitting next to each other - for eight hours.

Find ways to check on your own attitude. For if you do not, life will certainly find a way to do it for you.

No comments: