Thursday, December 02, 2010

Life of You


When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life.
~Monty Python's Life of Brian~

Each of us have had one of those days. Things just did not go the way you had planned. Heck, some of us have had one of those weeks, months or years.

Some of those unplanned tough times might even make you question if its all worth it. I wondered myself a couple of times although the thought of ending it all was never a serious thought. But I do know a few people whom have thought seriously of it. I have also known people whom actually carried it out; a sister in fact.

I would not be bold enough to know what truly enters a person's mind that makes them feel death is a better solution. But I do know that much of it comes down to feelings of self worth, of value to anyone else and of ending the pain of whatever they are going through.

Only a couple of times have I been placed in a situation to try and talk someone back from the edge. And not being a professional counselor, it was nerve wracking to say the least. Yet in my mind all I knew when speaking was that "YOU" are important. "YOU" do make a difference in the lives of others. "YOU" will get through this and achieve great things.

Is it as simple as Monty Python sang in "The Life of Brian", to always look on the bright side of life? In some ways it is that simple. I've been accused of oversimplifying things in my writing. My response is that many of us overcomplicate life.

Can looking "on the bright side" fix all of our problems? No, but it is a start. What is important is that the life of you is important. Whatever 'thing' you are going through, the existence of you has meaning. Be strong and push through. Search out the help of others. Put yourself amongst people that care for you. Remain enthralled by the beauty and wonder of life.

No comments: