Thursday, September 06, 2012

A Juggling Act


"Juggling is sometimes called the art of controlling patterns, controlling patterns in time and space." -Ronald Graham

I have wondered at times if we are not simply the amusement of our God at times. As He watches us live our lives trying to do everything possible under the sun. The juggling act we perform every day can be quite entertaining when you think about it.

There have been articles I have written about this juggling act all of us attempt to perform. When I hear those words, I am drawn back to the old Ed Sullivan variety television show. There was always some act of juggling or plate spinning being showcased.

What I never realized way back then is how much life would reflect those performing acts. I too was going to juggle the many things that life sends my way. I would have to find a way to keep all of my plates spinning.

I have tried to explain the correlation to life and the art of the juggler in various articles. I then found a book that describes it wonderfully. A book that details those struggles each of us have to work through. And the great thing about the book is it was written by a person I would not have expected.

Pat Gelsinger is the author's name and he may or may not be a well known name to you. But in the computer industry, he is well known for his many years as a driving force behind the success of Intel Corporation. In 2009 he became our President and Chief Operating Officer at EMC Corporation and very recently was named CEO of VMware.

You might try to apply the stereotypes about high-powered executives prevalent today. But those would not stick very well and it is evident in his book called The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work.

As one reviewer wonderfully said, "Perhaps it's because I'm a new dad, a corporate employee and a believer in unconditional love - but this is the best book I've read in the last 10 years when it comes to practical wisdom. Pat's family stories are mind-blowing and full of heart. The afterword by his wife, Linda, is a true gem - hearing her perspective and thoughts on Pat and what it means to be a supportive wife...."

This is a book that anyone, at any point in their career, family or walk in life can pull strength and knowledge from. I certainly learned quite a bit from it and so will you.

Keep those plates spinning and stay inspired my friends.

And now for your entertainment...



No comments: