Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Forgive and Move On


"I couldn't find anywhere, in any book I ever read, including the Bible, that said in order to forgive somebody, they had to ask for it or that they had to deserve it." - Andy Andrews

In an article written by Andy Andrews, he writes about having a forgiving spirit. "Forgiveness is the ultimate course in anger resolution. Everything I read said, "Forgive. Let it go." Forgiving someone is the ultimate gift to ourselves because, it effects us much more than it does them. Forgiveness IS anger resolution!"

As a matter of everyday life, as humans we tend to cling to old hurts and transgressions against us. There always seems to be that one nagging mental picture in our mind of someone that did something to or against us. The driver that cut us off in traffic, an old lover or a co-worker.

What happens is that these nagging thoughts prevent us from moving on. It holds us back and makes our load so much heavier. If we are holding onto olds hurts, we can not improve or allow ourselves to gain our life back and make it a better life.

So Andy suggests to sit down with a pen, piece of paper and ask yourself a few questions. Jot down names that come to mind and when done, ask yourself, "Is this a person I need to forgive or someone from whom I should ask forgiveness?"

He then provides some samples of questions (you can come up with your own) and reminds us that the quality of your answers is going to be determined by the quality of your questions.
  • "What one decision would I make if I knew it would not fail?"
  • "What one thing should I eliminate from my life as it holds me back from reaching my full potential?"
  • "Am I on the path of something absolutely fantastic or something absolutely average?"
  • "Am I running from something or to someone?"
  • "What can I do to make better use of my time?"
  • "What impossible thing am I believing right now and planning for?"
  • "What is my most prevailing thought?"
  • "What good thing have I previously committed myself to do that I've quit doing?"
  • "Of the people I respect the most, what is it about them that earns my respect?"
  • "What would a truly creative person do in my situation?"
  • "What outside influences are causing me to be better or worse?"
  • "What gifts, talents, or strengths do I have?"
  • "I know I don't know the answer right now, but if I knew the answer, what would I say?"
  • "What is one thing I can do for someone else who has no opportunity to repay me?"
  • "Who do I need to forgive?"
Enable yourself to move on. Forgive yourself, forgive others and get on living your life. As Andy states, it is difficult to "fight an enemy that has a built a fort in your head."

Start your day with forgiveness, have a forgiving spirit. Stay inspired my friends.

No comments: