Wednesday, January 01, 2014
Happy New Year - 2014
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
On this the new day of a new year, I must ask if you took part in the five most bizzare New Year's Eve traditions.
1. Welcoming the new year in a graveyard - Talca, Chile.
Being in the company of deceased friends and relatives in a candle-lit graveyard.
2. Attempting to understand animal speech. - Romania.
If you can hear the animals talk, it's a bad omen.
If you can't, the new year will be a good one.
3. Banging old bread on the walls - Ireland.
Meant to drive away evil spirits and bring good luck.
4. Throwing items from the window - Johannesburg, South Africa.
Mostly old microwaves and other unwanted furniture.
5. Cutting a hole in the surface of a frozen lake - Siberia, Russia.
And then diving to the bottom while carrying a dead tree.
We surely have different customs and traditions to mark the beginning of the new year. But in all, I would like to give you this short Irish blessing. "Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís,” or in English, "May we be alive this time next year!"
Happy 2014 everyone and stay inspired!