Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Searching for Rain


"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill

It is an oft repeated phrase, "is the glass half empty or half full?" Many in today's society would say the glass is growing increasingly empty and we'll eventually run out. But the optimist will say we have half a glass of water and there appears to be rain on the horizon.

The ability to stay positive during a tough time can be difficult. Saying those words easy enough to say, but living the reality can be quite different. Those that can see the rain coming just by seeing a small cloud can turn around the attitude of many others who only see a dry and parched landscape.

What can you do to be that one person seeing the rain coming?

An article from Self Growth offers ten steps to help you just that.

10 Action Steps to Keep a Positive Attitude:

1. Don't fall into the "misery loves company" syndrome: If you find yourself participating in a "pity party" at work, politely excuse yourself. These parties are a fantastic drain on your time and energy, and they don't solve any problems.

2. Avoid "poison" people: You know who they are! They are the ones who are always complaining, being negative, or are quick to criticize your ideas. Since you may not want to totally eliminate them from your life, just arrange things so you only have to deal with them in small "doses."

3. Don't watch too much TV: When you're stressed or feeling down, a planned few minutes of watching TV can turn into hours.

4. Spend time with your kids, family, and friends: Instead of spending hours with the TV, rearrange your schedule and give some of that time to family and friends. I have young kids who think I am the "human crane." Pick them up, carry them, and twirl them, you name it, I do it. I must admit there were times when all I really wanted to do was just sit on the sofa, but my kids wouldn't let me. The amazing part, though, was that I always felt better each time after being exhausted.

5. Take a half-hour to an hour a day to motivate yourself: Read motivational books or listen to motivational tapes.

6. Take an hour a day to become an expert: I got this idea from one Jack Canfield's tapes, where he talks about how you can take one hour a day to become an expert in your area or develop other marketable skills. You don't have to exhaust yourself trying to "cram" in new skills or expertise. An hour a day will get you where you want to be quicker than you think.

7. Try new things: Overcome the fear (i.e., fear of failure, rejection, or pain)! When you're learning or doing a new sport or hobby, you don't think about what's bothering you. Last year, I tried snow skiing for the first time, and now I am hooked! Believe me, when I let one of my daughters (who had taken lessons) talk me into going down a "blue" hill on my first day, I wasn't thinking about my "problems" while I was tumbling down half the mountain! My daughter later told the whole family how she had never seen anyone fall the way Daddy did.

8. Exercise: We all know about the physical benefits of exercising, but to me that's just a side benefit. The real payoff of exercise is the mental stress relief. When you're "gasping for air," your thoughts are very simple. Most important, regardless of how badly you may feel when you start exercising, you will always feel better when you're done.

9. Pray: It doesn't matter what your religion is or beliefs are, you need to pray to ask for the help and guidance you need. I'm not an expert in this area, but I know it works!

10. Reward Yourself: Set small goals or steps, and reward yourself on each accomplishment. Don't constantly worry or "burn-out," take time to relax and "smell the roses."

Keep looking for the rain as the servant did and on the seventh try said, "A cloud as small as a man's hand is rising from the sea." You can be the one seeing greater things happening. When you do, others will follow you to greatness. Keep looking and the glass will become full once again.

Stay inspired my friends.

No comments: