Friday, April 24, 2015

The Little Things


You need to let the little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you.” ― Andy Warhol

I have written quite often how we should be doing small things that touch other people's lives. You open a door, let another car into the line of traffic or maybe sending a smile their way. All good things are returned to you in ways you will never expect. For me it happened in a way I did not expect.

Good things come in unexpected ways.

I was eating dinner with my son who is in the U.S. Army. We had finished eating at a local restaurant and were getting ready to leave. The waitress had brought our bill and I noticed it was short one meal. I called her back over in order to get it corrected. It turns out that someone in the restaurant had paid for my son's meal.

I asked whom it was so that we could thank them, but it was indicated they wished to remain anonymous. A very nice gesture which touched me in a way I didn't think it could. My son was grateful and I could tell in his quiet way that it had made an impression.

Not looking for headlines, just a person doing something nice for another.

All of us can not fly another to Paris to view the Eiffel Tower, but we can give them a key chain. It is the little things that let another person know we are thinking of them or that we do care. A simple gesture that has a grand effect.

The little things in life do matter.

You can do something for others every day of your life. You can start right now, tonight or in the morning - find one small thing to do. To paraphrase a quote, "The smallest deed is better than the greatest intention." Small things become great in their own simplicity.

Stay inspired my friends.

No comments: