Monday, October 05, 2015

Wondrous Stories


I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.” ― Umberto Eco

I want to grow as old as my father has and many years beyond it. Today my Dad celebrates another birthday, well into his eighties and with stories to we each have to tell. And many stories I am sure he could tell as well.

All were adventures as I look back now, leading me to where I am today.

A story I wrote about in one of my books titled Changed Lives gives a glimpse into one such adventurous story.

"Take old oak doors for instance, the old heavy ones that you rarely find these days. There can be many uses for these doors if you put your mind to good use. These doors are also quite heavy for a young boy that didn’t have the physique of a football player.

We would find these doors at the old trash dumping location near our hometown. This dump was a ravine, back again during those times before much stricter regulations. That which we could not burn was taken to this dump.

Most times we returned with more then we took. This is the ‘new stuff’ I referred to earlier. My father had a great ‘eye’ for things that could be potentially used on our farm. He could spot an old oak door many yards away. One such day he found one laying about half way down the ravine. All we had to do was climb down, attach a rope and pull it back up.

I was the available son and was instructed to ensure that I tied up to it securely. So down I went, doing as I was told, never wanting to disappoint. All the while I kept wondering if the whole trash pile would give way and slide further down the ravine. God was watching over me I am sure; no scrapes, no bruises and another prized oak door was ours.
"


My Dad always took care of us, did a great job at it in fact and I am the person I am today because of him. To that I thank him for being Dad. Pretty simple idea but hard to execute on. But he has done it well as one can.

Happy birthday Dad and I look forward to more wondrous stories.



Stay inspired my friends!

No comments: