Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Small Acts of Gratitude


I was reminded the other day about my son's service in the military. He spent 15 months on a base outside of Tikrit, Iraq serving in the U.S. Army. The tasks he was trained for required travel into the countryside, to smaller bases and in the training of Iraqi personnel. This exposed him as it does thousands of soldiers each day to the possible violence that can occur.

It is his service and the service of hundreds of thousands of other military personnel that are helping a country rebuild itself, for which I am thankful. The political debate can take place in other forums of discussion, yet it is in my heart to know that military personnel are simply doing their job and doing it well.

And so it is with that, I thank them. You also have a way to thank service men and women when you see them in public. A very simple and easy way is by giving the 'gratitude' sign to military personnel. It is similar to the 'thank you' sign, but many folks may have a tough time giving a 'blowing kiss' sign to the military.

In the 'gratitude' sign language, you can use both hands or a simple one-hand indication. The idea is to simply sign a non-verbal symbol of thanks to those in the military for their service. I'm thankful to my own son for his service and to the many others. I thank you for thinking of them as well.

"That best portion of a good man s life? His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love." - William Wordsworth
_

No comments: