Friday, January 14, 2011

Dick Winters Brothers


"We are paratroopers Lieutenent; we are supposed to be surrounded." ~Dick Winters

If you have never heard of Dick Winters or the men he served with in World War II, then you should. January 2, 2011 is the day he passed at the age of 92.

The way he lived his life, the way he served his country, more importantly the way he served the men he fought with speaks volumes of the man. I would venture to say that Dick Winters would rather the attention be placed upon all of the men he served with.

He knew all too well that the life he lived was a life accomplished with his brothers. It was together that they accomplished and survived the war. It was together that that lived great lives well beyond that war. It is together they will have peace well beyond anything we can imagine.

There are very few words that I can say about this man or those he served with. All were heroes and all knew the spirit of brotherhood. For it is together that we can accomplish great things. It is together we stand when times are tough. It is together we stand when times are good.

I know that my brothers (siblings and friends) are there to my left and to my right. Should I need them to grab my arms to help me carry on, they will be there. The same can be said that I will be there to grab them when need arises.

Not to steal the pride of paratroopers, but in life you are surrounded. Surrounded by circumstance, surrounded by all of those things that life is going to throw at you. Realizing that "...we are supposed to be surrounded" and knowing that others stand beside you make the fight all that much more winnable.

Rest in peace Dick Winters, rest in peace my brothers; rest in the knowledge that each of you are heroes.

No comments: