Friday, June 20, 2014

Stress Happens


"The truth is that stress doesn't come from your boss, your kids, your spouse, traffic jams, health challenges, or other circumstances. It comes from your thoughts about these circumstances." - Andrew Bernstein

Through most of my career, my job was labeled as what companies call an "individual contributor." this meant I did my job, handled my responsibilities but had no direct reports. That was nearly twenty-seven years of my career and I was then thrust into managing people.

A change that made me change some of my perceptions.

What I have found though is managing people is not a whole lot different from working with customers, peer work groups or even family and friends. It remains a very relationship oriented function and as I have learned to accept that fact, my focus to "leading" our team becomes more clear.

But one other fact remains in any relationship, stress within people can and does occur. The stress could be due to the amount of work being handled, something at home affecting your work and many times cultural or personality differences. It just happens and sometimes it boils like steam venting from a pot.

When stress builds, stop, take a deep breath and relax.

According to research done by the online journal Thorax called Angry Breathing, shows that "hostility is associated with poorer pulmonary function and more rapid rates of decline among older men." What this means is anger can alter neuroendocrine processes, which trigger chronic inflammation and damage the lungs.

Essentially, the longer you remain angry, the more you express anger at other drivers, at other people and life in general, your risk of lung damage goes up. So it just makes sense to relax and 'take a deep breath' when you feel anger or stress coming on.

Life will be better and life will be longer. You'll breathe easier in the long run.

Stay inspired my friends!

No comments: