Thursday, April 09, 2015

Barrenness of a Busy Life


"Beware the barrenness of a busy life." - Socrates

Like a crazy graph showing the ups and downs of the stock market, my daily work routine can be slow or busy with excruciating deadlines. Like most people, not only do I sometimes have too much on my plate, but I have way too many plates. And I can spin multiple plates with the best of them.


I was so good at it that I managed to lose touch with so much.

So much that I divorced several years back. So much that I lost touch with my sons. So much that I lost touch with my friends. So much that I lost touch with my faith.

"Beware the barrenness of a busy life."

I speak about this in my book Changed Lives. I write about how life can change so much when you lose balance and life begins to spin out of control. What I thought was filling up my life was actually destroying it; slowly and very methodically.

My obsessive compulsive disorder nature was driving me to perfect everything in my work life, that I neglected many other parts.


I have since repaired those parts of my life and reconnected.

I married a wonderful woman and gained four wonderful daughters. I work to improve and maintain the relationship I cherish with my sons. I have reconnected with friends from the past. I have also been reconnected to my faith for several years now.

I work to maintain balance within my life; as much balance as one can aspire to.

Spiritual & Moral, Marriage & Family, Mental & Emotional, 
Physical & Health, Social & Cultural, Financial & Career

"Beware the barrenness of a busy life."

Certainly I have not perfected it and probably never will. But I am cognizant of it and will continue to work at it. And like that stock chart, I have to watch it and gauge when my busy schedule is creating barrenness in my life.

This is something I recommend to each of you as well.

Find a way to balance life so that you don't wake up one morning to an empty world. You can spin those plates, tote that bale, pull that barge, but remember there will always be plates, bales and barges. Your life is the one and only one you get.

So beware the barrenness of a busy life.

And stay inspired my friends!

No comments: