Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Individual Choice


"The smallest gesture can mean so much to those who may need a little lift in their lives." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Early this morning I was on my way to the airport. This was to be the usual traffic congested drive of a Monday morning through downtown Atlanta. As you pass through this concrete labyrinth of on ramps, off ramps and fly over bridges, it can be a very bland drive of non-descriptive gray.

This particular morning I noticed something different.

Beneath one of the overpasses lay someone homeless, sleeping wrapped in a dirty bag on what appeared to be a bed of branches. What was the story, why in this place, how could one sleep through all of the noise. It caught me by surprise for reasons I can not understand, but it made me wonder.

How low can we sink in our own life to sleep by a freeway.

There are many reasons for the condition many find themselves in. Poor choices, mental health, drug abuse and sometimes we simply can not explain the condition. I can only guess what this person may have encountered to end up in a dirty bag along a busy stretch of freeway.

My hope would be this person finds a way to be lifted. That he or she allows themselves to be lifted by the grace and kindness of another person. Our lives can be used to lift others in need and when down ourselves, be lifted by others.

That is a lot of lifting.

But each of us are capable of doing more for others. We are capable of accepting the help. We are and we will be the people who make a difference in the lives of others. It will not be the politicians, the preachers or the pundits. Individuals making individual choices make a difference.

Stay inspired my friends!

No comments: